Saturday, February 03, 2007

Folk Streams...Keeping It Alive

The website at Folkstreams.net has two goals. One is to build a national preserve of hard-to-find documentary films about American folk or roots cultures. The other is to give them renewed life by streaming them on the internet. The films were produced by independent filmmakers in a golden age that began in the 1960s and was made possible by the development first of portable cameras and then capacity for synch sound. Their films focus on the culture, struggles, and arts of unnoticed Americans from many different regions and communities.


This is just a sampling of the videos that are available at Folkstreams.net. And I encourage everybody to visit their site and view these cultural treasures! The permanent link for the complete stream of the films is located below each of the short introductory film clips.


Appalachian Journey


Peg Leg Sam Jackson


Cajun Country


Catching the Music


Dreams and Songs of the Noble Old


It Ain't City Music

4Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm only a little ways in. The letter carving documentary caught my attention, beautious. And a little disturbing, the first headstone carved was Chase - my mother's maiden name. Is there no end to this small world?

IS siggy

Sunday, 04 February, 2007  
Blogger atuuschaaw said...

I know what you mean siggy. I got hung up on the cowboy poets for a while and didn't want to break the magic of the message. Some really awesome stories of the people here. These stories are the important ones; the stories we need to be listening to and sharing. :)

Sunday, 04 February, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

catching music was to die for. I have no idea how or why, as I've never set foot anywhere near, but Cajun is deep in my soul. I suspect the answer lies somewhere in my lost ancestry. All I know is that I love all music, but if there's such a thing as an innate beat, mine's Cajun.

is siggy

Monday, 05 February, 2007  
Blogger atuuschaaw said...

Well, I can certainly relate! The Cajun music blends with my soul also and it gets into your blood and will never leave! :)

I cherish my time spent around the Atchafalaya Basin and I have to go back from time to time. I have made friends there who are like family. Perhaps if you ever make it down south, we can mosey on down to the swamps for a little visit? ;)

Monday, 05 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.