Saturday, February 24, 2007

Artful Perceptions

The art technique known as Trompe-l'œil is deceiving to the eye. From what I understand, this art form dates back to early Greek and Roman times. It can be seen in the still life of William Michael Harnett.



And you can see the art form in the work of Richard Haas.



But the artist I find very interesting is English chalk artist Julian Beever. His three dimensional pavement drawings are something to behold!

Just my opinion and I guess we must take into consideration that I also like dirty winshield art. Maybe it seems to mean more when you put so much of your soul and effort into a creation, knowing it's only temporary and the rain could wash it away at any time. There's just something fresh about that idea. :)









Perhaps it's the revolutionary feeling I get when I see this art form. Seems to be as much about protest as it is about an art form!

4Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing eh. I feel really bad AT. We had the Julian collection up for discussion at rw.com way back in march. I should have showed you, seriously I had no idea.

And check out my grandson's artwork (scroll down, posted by slek). How's that for talent.

IS siggy

Sunday, 25 February, 2007  
Blogger atuuschaaw said...

Too funny! I don't understand why you didn't tell me siggy! Did you like the dirty windshield art? After viewing all, I'm going to have to say your grandson's artistry says so much more than all the lame illusionary art or the temporary winshield gallery! ;)

Sunday, 25 February, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks AT and he was only 9 when he chalked it.

Did I like it, hell you could hang those cars in the 16th chapel and no-one would be none the wiser. Absolutely amazing, not just in detail but the time it couldn't have taken.

Imagine that, it took me near half an hr just to peck out this little note.

IS siggy

(what do I have to do to be an other, anonymous sounds so sneaky. At least if I was an other, other readers could identify)

Sunday, 25 February, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I had no idea how to spell - sisteen - cisteen - so I just went with a number. Either way those windshields covered in dirt and fingerprints would look way good in it.

IS

Sunday, 25 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.