Friday, January 16, 2009

Sorry, We're Open

I enjoyed this film so much that I couldn't help but share. This documentary was made by Joe York, who is a film maker working with the UMCMD Projects. York also produces the Highway 61 Radio, a blues show that airs on Mississippi Public Broadcasting stations.

This video is of an old cotton warehouse that was turned into a theater in Oxford, Mississippi...and of course Ole Miss! Ron Shapiro was the owner of the converted warehouse who named the new place "Hoka" after the legendary Chickasaw Indian, "Princess Hoka". Her name was the first to appear on the Lafayette County deed records. I'm not certain of the date, but I do know the Chickasaws were forced off their lands and relocated between the years of 1833 and 1840. Shapiro and associates were actively operating The Hoka from 1976 until 1996.

These days the Oxford Film Festival organization passes out the "Hoka Awards" to the winners. But so much for the history lesson and on to the movie.

The movie is entitled "Sorry, We're Open" and I hope you enjoy it.

nv-wa-do-hi-ya-da

1Comments:

Blogger cile said...

Thank you so much for sharing this video. I watched it while I ate lunch today and I'm thinking how rich we are in history! Great places. Great times.

Saturday, 17 January, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.